The general rule in most child custody cases is that the judgment is never final, and that future changes in circumstances could always warrant making changes in the custody arrangement.  If the parents both agree to a new custody arrangement, they can file a new agreement with the Court, and if the Court finds the new agreement reasonable, it will be allowed.  When both parents cannot agree to a change in custody arrangements, a Complaint for Modification must be filed with the Court.  A custody or visitation arrangement can be modified by the court if the parent wanting the change can show:

1. a significant change in circumstances since the judgment or temporary order was made; and

2. the best interests of the child is not being met by the current arrangement.

Changing Custody Arrangements: Legal Considerations For Altered Situations