Finding & Utilizing A Qualified Mediator
There are people that believe that they just need a mediator to get the job done quickly, along the lines of an uncontested divorce lawyer with a flat-rate fee.
This is a misconception as the quality of your divorce mediator is extremely important. As the State of Massachusetts does not license divorce mediators, you are at risk of hiring an unqualified person if you do not know how to find a skilled mediator. There are several things to look for when choosing a mediator:
- Look for a mediator that is a divorce lawyer so that the mediator has the ability to draft a separation agreement, otherwise you will be forced to hire two separate attorneys afterwards, at added cost to the parties.
- Look for divorce mediator with extensive experience. As an example, we have acted as mediator in over 2,000 cases.
- Look for a mediator that has a practice focused on mediation. Our firm devotes 95% of our practice to mediation.
- Look for a firm that has a reputation for excellence in the legal community.
- Ensure your mediator is skilled in maintaining neutrality, and is able to get results no matter how contentious the matters at hand could be before engaging in the process.
You can find out more about finding and utilizing a qualified mediator by reading the in-depth interview with Attorney Polly Tatum of Mediation Advantage Services, or by reaching out to speak with us directly.